Top Menu

Open Carry Now In SC, Important Restrictions You Need to Know

Yesterday South Carolina’s Open Carry law went into effect. First, however, you need to know some essential restrictions in the law before heading out with your handgun.

Governor Henry McMaster signed Bill 3094 into law back on May 17th. Dubbed “Open Carry With Training Act,” the law brings open carry to South Carolina, but with certain restrictions.

open carry south carolina

Open Carry Law Restrictions:

Open carry is only legal for residents with a valid South Carolina concealed carry license. If you don’t already have a license, you can’t legally carry your everyday carry (EDC) gun openly.

Additionally, the law does not take away private or public business owners’ right to prohibit firearms on their property. The establishment must post signs indicating they do not allow firearms on their property.

One good thing about the law is the permit is now FREE!

How do you feel about the change to the law? Did it go far enough, or does requiring a concealed carry license to open carry essentially nullify the benefit?

Gun laws are continually changing, and the repercussions of not knowing can be severe. Consider our Legal Boundaries by State Book. The book is available in hard copy as well as a digital version. The digital version comes with every physical book purchase and is continually updated any time a law is changed.

legal boundaries by state book

The Legal Boundaries by State Book is not just a reciprocity list. Inside are gun laws for all 50 states and the District of Columbia and federal gun law and laws related to air travel with firearms. It is by far the most comprehensive gun law resource available.

, , , , ,

9 Responses to Open Carry Now In SC, Important Restrictions You Need to Know

1. Ricky August 17, 2021 at 12:14 am #

I think it strikes a good balance. The License is now free as opposed to a fee before new law. I have no issue with taking a training class and pass a background check. Both help to ensure some safety. I would not understand why a law abiding citizen would feel this is not a good idea.

2. Tz9x21 August 17, 2021 at 1:20 am #

So as a non resident, I still can’t protect myself.in your state. But you’ll be happy to take my vacation money……….

• Doug September 3, 2021 at 3:23 pm #

Not correct. SC allows for non resident permits.

• William Mccord September 5, 2021 at 8:23 pm #

I can’t find anything on Reprocity with TN. I know last year I could carry in south carolina with my TN permit when I visited. I see the law has changed some since then. Can I still carry concealed or not with my TN permit?

3. Dave August 17, 2021 at 2:37 pm #

Personally I have my Arizona CCW and while I am glad that they enacted open carry in SC I always have pondered the “why would I open carry if I can conceal carry” question. I personally don’t want to attract any added attention to myself, but to each his/her own I guess.

4. Jim August 18, 2021 at 10:43 pm #

I think this is great. I personally will continue to conceal carry. But now I don’t have to worry, if my shirt doesn’t totally cover my weapon.

5. Kevin August 19, 2021 at 12:49 am #

I’ll be heading to SC soon for several months and was planning on picking up their CCW permit anyways. Won’t be open carrying though.

6. Thomas August 25, 2021 at 1:43 pm #

I like open carry i don’t have to keep checking to see if my gun is covered and if I come to a no open carry store I just pull my shirt out I don’t know why they stopped the permit fee sled is going to lose a lot of money

7. Caroline September 5, 2021 at 6:46 am #

Thank you Governor McMaster for signing the bill to open carry. I am a woman who sometimes travels alone and I like knowing I can protect myself. I will continue to carry concealed, but like knowing I now have the option to open carry.