SC Permit Application Guide

Certain residents of South Carolina may be eligible to obtain a permit which would allow them to carry a concealed handgun under certain conditions.


 Processing time may be up to 90 days. A renewal application should be mailed 90-120 days prior to permit expiration. (Note: 8/1/16 – SLED is telling me it will take approximately 75 days for New Permits and about 65 days for Renewals at this time due to high volume.)

 Applicants must include a non-refundable payment of $50.00 (certified check, cashier’s check, or money order) made payable to SLED.

 Applicants must submit a good quality photocopy of their state issued driver’s license or officially issued identification card.

 Resident aliens must provide a copy of their alien card from the Department of Homeland Security.

 Qualified nonresident applicants must submit a completed Real Property Tax Form (SLED Form R- 168).

The following only apply to NEW permit applications:

 Applicants must submit an original completed, signed, and dated application. The CWP instructor must also sign the application.

 Applicants must submit two (2) complete, legible sets of fingerprint cards.

 Active duty military applicants must submit military orders. Retired or former military applicants must submit a copy of their DD214.

 Retired law enforcement officers exempt from paying the fee must submit proof of retirement benefits/pension documentation.

 Active/retired South Carolina law enforcement officers exempt from training must submit current legal and firearm training documentation. Out-of-state retired law enforcement officers (or those 3 whose certification has expired) must submit proof of graduation from a federal or state academy that included firearms training as a graduation requirement.

 Disabled veterans exempt from paying the fee must submit documentation from the VA indicating disability percentage.

 CWP training courses must have been completed within three years of filing the application.

 Training date, instructor certification number, and student number must be entered onto the application.

 You must submit a signed copy of the SLED CWP Instructor/Student Checklist with your application. Permit issued after February 11, 2014 will be valid for 5 years.

Please mail all of this information to:

CWP Application, SLED Data Center, P.O. Box 21398, Columbia, S.C. 29221-1398)

Please Note: It will take approximately ninety (90) days to process your new application.

Please Note: It will take approximately thirty (30) days to process your renewal application.

Training Requirements:

Section 23-31-210. (4) “Proof of training” means an original document or certified copy of the document supplied by an applicant that certifies that he is either:

(a) a person who, within three years before filing an application, has successfully completed a basic or advanced handgun education course offered by a state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency or a nationally recognized organization that promotes gun safety. This education course must include, but is not limited to:

(i) information on the statutory and case law of this State relating to handguns and to the use of deadly force;

(ii) information on handgun use and safety;

(iii) information on the proper storage practice for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that reduces the possibility of accidental injury to a child; and

(iv) the actual firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor;

(b) a person who demonstrates any of the following must comply with the provisions of sub item (a)(i) only:

(i) a person who demonstrates the completion of basic military training provided by any branch of the United States military who produces proof of his military service through the submission of a DD214 form;

(ii) a retired law enforcement officer who produces proof that he is a graduate of the Criminal Justice Academy or that he was a law enforcement officer prior to the requirement for graduation from the Criminal Justice Academy; or

(iii) a retired state or federal law enforcement officer who produces proof of graduation from a federal or state academy that includes firearms training as a graduation requirement.

(c) an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association or another SLED approved competent national organization that promotes the safe use of handguns;

(d) a person who can demonstrate to the Director of SLED or his designee that he has a proficiency in both the use of handguns and state laws pertaining to handguns;

(e) an active duty police handgun instructor; 4

(f) a person who has a SLED certified or approved competitive handgun shooting classification; or

(g) a member of the active or reserve military, or a member of the National Guard. SLED shall promulgate regulations containing general guidelines for courses and qualifications for instructors which would satisfy the requirements of this item. For purposes of sub items (a) and (b), “proof of training” is not satisfied unless the organization and its instructors meet or exceed the guidelines and qualifications contained in the regulations promulgated by SLED pursuant to this item.

Non-Resident Permits:

If you own property in SC you can apply for a Non-Resident Permit/License. Non-Residents must fill out a non-resident form and have the Assessor sign it to show you own property. Then follow the Application process as spelled out in the Resident Permit Section. If you are Military stationed in SC you can apply. See Resident section above for details.