Below are answers to the most common questions we get about obtaining a South Carolina Concealed Carry Permit (CCW)

Do I have to be a resident of South Carolina to apply?

No but you have to own property in the state if you are not an SC resident.

Do I have to be a US Citizen to apply?


How long do I have to live in the state to qualify as a resident?

Under most circumstances, a person must live in South Carolina for 12 consecutive months and change important documentation (driver’s license, vehicle registration, etc. to South Carolina) to establish residency.

What is the Application Fee for the state permit?

SLED charges a $50 processing fee.

What is the Renewal Fee?


Will I be notified when my permit is going to expire?


How long does it take to get the permit after my application has been submitted?

By SC law, SLED has 90 days to either issue you or notify you explaining why they have not issued you a CWP.

What is the complete process to apply for the permit?

After taking your SC CWP course you need to mail a colored copy of your driver’s license, completed fingerprint card, certificate forms provided by the CWP instructor, and a $50 money order or cashier’s check.

Are Permit Holders Required to Notify Law Enforcement When Confronted?


Can Private Property Owners Prohibit Firearms on Their Property?


How long is the class?

No me constraint. Varies by size.

Do I have to shoot a firearm for this class?


How Often Do I Have to Renew My Permit?

Every five years

How Do I apply for the permit after I complete the course?

All certified CWP application forms are provided in the course. You would then mail forms and required documents to SLED.

Do Ex-Military Have to Take a Class?

People who are former/active military, or law enforcement officers are required to take the “SC Legal Aspects” exam. A valid DD214 form substitutes for the shoong qualification.

Are there Discounts for Seniors or Veterans?